A number of us consider farting as embarrassing, however, it is a gaseous element produced by our bodies as part of breaking down and processing food and nutrients.
Farting, derived from the Old English word “feorton,” which means “to break wind” is a natural occurrence which shows your digestive system Is at work. Air, gas build up in your gastrointestinal tract when you eat, chew, drink, suckle and swallow foods. Some of the gas is absorbed naturally by the body, and then gets let off as a fart or burp.
FACTS ABOUT FART
- An average individual produces 0.6–1.8 litres of intestinal gas daily.
- Women’s farts tend to smell more than men’s. Surprised? Well, it’s true. According to a study, women’s farts have significantly greater levels of hydrogen sulfide, which makes the air they produce better for your health.
- According to research, there is no significant difference between the amount that the older and younger individuals fart.
- More than 99 percent of the gas individuals pass consists of just nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and methane.
- People pass more gas when they are asleep.
- Some food makes your fart smell worse than some others. Sulfur dense foods like beans, eggs, meat, whole grains amongst others causes your fart to smell worse because the food breaks down to cause hydrogen sulfide
- Soaking beans in water overnight can reduce their tendency to trigger farting.
- The tighter your anal sphincter- a ring of muscle surrounding and serving to guard or close the opening of the anus- the more sound your fart will make because they can’t get out easily.
Food intolerance can also cause farting. To reduce farting, limit foods with lactose, fruits containing fructose and the sweetener sorbitol. Also, taking a walk after meals may help.
While farting everyday is normal, farting excessively everytime may be a pointer to a health issue. If you feel an unease about the way and frequency of your fart, please visit your doctor.
Farting signifies a healthy gut, so don’t be hard on yourself because everyone farts.